You should come to After Hour Pediatrics if your child requires urgent care when your pediatrician or primary care physician’s office is closed. We are a convenient and affordable alternative to the Emergency Room. If the injury or illness is life-threatening, you should go to the nearest hospital.
We are open 365 days a year, Monday-Friday 5pm -10pm and Weekends/Holidays 10am-10pm.
If you are in doubt about whether to come and visit us please call us at 650-579-6581
In addition to keeping your child comfortable for the journey to us, bring your insurance card and ID!
It would be helpful to download and complete the Consent Form if somebody other than the parent is bringing your child to us (baby sitter, nanny or grandparent for example). Once you have registered this form you will need to update it annually.
Patients are seen on a first-come, first-served basis. The typical visit requires 30 -60 minutes depending on the services you need. If you need lab tests, breathing treatments or a procedure performed, you may be in the office for longer. Our pediatricians will always take the time to answer your questions thoroughly and you will never be rushed.
No. We are a walk-in pediatric urgent care center and will see children in the order that they arrive with exceptions for critically ill children or those at high-risk.
- We only care for children and we believe children should be seen by a pediatrician. Other urgent care facilities may have pediatric rooms or areas designated for children, but they are generally not staffed with clinicians who have specialized training in pediatrics.
- We are ideally located in downtown San Mateo, 15 minutes south from San Francisco airport.
- We offer free parking right outside our front door.
- We are child friendly, caring, compassionate and gentle.
- We will work with your child’s primary physician, by informing them about your visit and ensuring they are fully briefed about your child’s medical situation as soon as possible.
- We are independently run so you can talk to us about financial pressures. We might be able to help.
We can help if your child is experiencing:
- Non-life threatening emergencies
- Sprains, strains and broken bones
- Cuts, lacerations, burns and bruises
- Allergies, rashes and infections
- Fevers, flus, colds, strep throat, vomiting, diarrhea
- Croup, cough, wheezing, asthma
- Basic eye and ear care
- Human, dog and cat bites
- Asthma or wheezing
We can help if your child needs:
- X-ray (we work with Mills Peninsula Hospital directly across the street which is open until 9pm)
- Lab services
- Vaccinations and boosters
- School medical screenings and sports physicals (during summer season only)
- Prolonged asthma therapy, nebulizer treatments, epinephrine injections
- On-site tetanus shots, urinalysis, and rapid tests for flu, strep, mono and RSV
- On-call hospitalists for direct admits, bypassing the ER, for hospitalization
- Physical exams and testing (Urinalysis, Hemoglobin, Vision, Tuberculosis Skin Test, Tdap Vaccine)
- Pre and Post Concussion ImPACT Testing
We can help if you need:
- Evaluation of newborn conditions such as colic, jaundice, and feeding concerns
- Doctor-to-doctor consultations with pediatric specialists and your child’s pediatric group
We treat children from birth to age 26, which coincides with the new law allowing children to stay on their parents’ insurance plan up to that age.
If we are very busy, we give younger children priority and may ask the young adult to be seen in Adult Urgent Care. Some illnesses are better managed by doctors experienced in adult care.
We accept most major insurance plans including:
Mills-Peninsula Medical Group
Blue Shield of California
As of Nov 1st we will take Blue Shield Covered CA Plans
Anthem Insurance Companies
United HealthCare Services
Coming soon we will accept TriCare
We do accept some, but not all, Affordable Care Act insurance plans.
We will manage the entire process with your insurance company. For more information click here.
Everyone is welcome at After Hour Pediatrics. If you don’t have insurance or if your insurance is one that we do not have a contract with, you will need to pay for your treatment as a ‘self-pay’. We ask for cash or a credit card payment at the time of service.
We will provide a receipt after your visit and send you a Health Care Financing Administration (HCFA) form, which you can submit to your insurance for reimbursement.
If you are here on vacation, and do not have US medical insurance we will need payment in advance, and will provide a receipt for you to submit to your travel insurers for reimbursement.
Yes. More than 30 local pediatricians regularly refer children to us. We work with your pediatrician, providing you a convenient and comfortable place to bring your child after hours, when your normal doctor is not open. In fact, we encourage you to ask your pediatrician about us!
We do well checks and sports physicals only in the summer months if your child can’t get in with their regular doctor and needs to be seen right away. We are not a substitute for a regular pediatrician, but can fill in the gap until you find a regular pediatrician, or if you are traveling in our area temporarily. We carry only the Tetanus booster or Tdap vaccine and will recommend other vaccines your child may require.
No. As an urgent care facility, you do not need a referral from your pediatrician or primary care physician to be seen at After Hour Pediatrics.
Yes. We will work with your child’s doctor by informing them about your visit and ensuring they are fully briefed about your child’s medical situation as soon as possible. We always send a summary of your child’s visit to their doctor the day following the visit. We will include any pertinent lab results and follow up suggestions.
We often answer the phone on weekday mornings. Office related messages can be left with our Office Manager when prompted. Questions or concerns about care should be directed to our Medical Director by leaving a message.
We try our best to answer the phone during our open hours. If we are busy with patients, parents can leave a message for our Medical Assistant option 2 who will return the call within an hour.
If you want to talk to us about your bill please call our billing specialist during normal business hours on telephone: 650-579-6581 option 3, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are having financial problems, we have a benevolence fund should you be unable to pay your bill. Please ask our Office Manager.